Wednesday, October 8, 2014

On the Campaign Trail - A Day in the Life, Part II

A day in the life of a campaign consultant isn't all about the usual things, getting the mail ready, vetting your client's message and his photographs (no white shirts; don't stare right into the camera), buying cable ad time.

It's dealing with lots of small crises ("My opponent copied my message!" Well, it must be the right message then. "Someone is stealing my signs!" Then they must consider you a threat. Besides yard signs don't vote. And so on).

It's also getting calls and emails from friends who are running and just want a word of advice. Like the water board candidate in another County who wants me to take a quick peek at her email message asking for volunteers and endorsers. I do, and then advise her she must be much more direct, and calling is better than email; at least follow up with a phone call when you don't hear back.

Like the committee head who is running a tax measure in a nearby town, and wants my opinion of their handout (not so good). I suggest robo calls. Yeah, everyone hates them, but if you don't have money, they work, with the right message (really short) and the right messenger (a local celebrity or the fire chief for a public safety measure or a parent for a school bond). Oh, can I help with the script?

Sure. I'm only partially in it for the money. Hey, consultants have to eat too you know. But happy to help out a fledgling campaign Who knows, if they win, they might just hire me for their next run. And it wouldn't be campaign season if I wasn't just a little frazzled.


No comments:

Post a Comment