Tuesday, October 7, 2014

On the campaign trail - a Day in the Life

Besides the campaigns I am actually running, here's how my day goes:

Candidate A who didn't want to hire a consultant because he has a good committee to help him calls. "Help," he says. "My committee is making me crazy."

"what's the problem?" I ask.

"They all hate the mailer I put together, you know the one my brother in law in advertising did for me?"

"Smart committee," I think, but do not say.

"So how can I help you?"

"Can you just look at it and give me a few tips?"

"Um.."

"I'll pay you."

"OK," I relent, sure this is a mistake. Then follows a flurry of emails. The committee is right. The mail piece makes no sense. Not only that, it doesn't even have the most basic information, address, FPPC number, or email.

"Hmmm, could use some work," I type back. "Could use some consistency. And you have to have a way for voters to get in touch with you."

"What do you mean consistency?" he writes back and we're off.

Hours later, we have something that just might work, with a new graphic designer, and a print shop that can get it to the Post Office in time. Oh, but wait, it has to get the approval of the committee first.

"About my fee," I finish up, naming a very fair amount about half what I would normally charge for a rush job. I'm still awaiting his reply.

And this is all before breakfast. Stay tuned for more of a Day in the Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment